Ministry of the Week – 25 September 2015
By Ward Kuhn – President, GEC Foundation
The ministry of the Grace Episcopal Church Foundation is to receive gifts that will perpetuate the ministry at Grace forever and to educate the congregation about different giving tools. Here’s an article from our brothers and sisters of the Christian Church on the need for church people to have wills. Seven out of 10 of us DO NOT have a will!! What are we thinking? No will? Do we not care what happens to those assets or people we will leave behind? Do you want the government to determine your estate or do you want to do it?
Eight Important Reasons to Have a Will
Did you know:
1. Without a will, your state’s laws-not you- determine how, when and to whom your property is distributed?
2. You can reduce (or perhaps even eliminate) estate taxes and save taxes in a survivor’s estate?
3. You can name your executor to manage and settle your estate?
4. You can designate beneficiaries for items such as heirlooms, art objects, jewelry or real estate?
5. You may create trusts to provide for your spouse, children and others?
6. Through a pour-over will, you can transfer leftover assets to your living trust, bypassing probate?
7. With a will, you can designate the guardian you wish for those under your care?
8. You can be a blessing to Grace Episcopal Church Foundation through a bequest, which is simple, flexible and tax-deductible? You can designate other charities to receive gifts.
By including the church in your estate plan, the Gospel will be proclaimed. If you would like to contribute to the current ministry of Grace, then make your estate gift to Grace Episcopal Church of Traverse City, Michigan, EIN #38-1854119, or its successor, which shall be used for the advancement of the Gospel. If you would like to contribute to the endowment that makes ministries happen forever, then make your estate gift to Grace Episcopal Church Foundation of Traverse City, Michigan, EIN #38-3275843 which shall be held in an endowment for the ministries of Grace Episcopal Church, Traverse City, Michigan or its successor. If you have any questions contact a member of the Foundation Board or Ann Hackett at the parish office.