What, in God’s name, is going on?
It’s Monday night in the summer at Grace Church and the parking lot is full. What did you miss?
· A music group, Grace Harmony, rehearsed in the sanctuary after first studying the scriptures for the week. Their study points to what music will be sung at the weekend service.
· A men’s group, STAG [St. Theo Amity Guild] gathered for evening prayer, a simple meal and some fellowship
· A women’s group settled into the Jubilee House for fellowship and a book discussion before taking a break for the summer.
· A group met in the sanctuary to offer grief support to each other
· Two community groups filed into meeting rooms in the lower level to continue their ministry – Narcotics Anonymous and Science of Spirituality
It’s Tuesday in the summer at Grace Church and the parking lot is full. What did you miss?
· The finance committee gathered at 7:30 am to hear a report on the status of the Outreach Renovation Project and review the financials to date.
· St. Fiacre, the garden guild, pulled in to take advantage of the cooler morning temperatures and to tend the beds in anticipation of showcasing our gardens for the Friendly Garden Club Walk in July.
· Jubilee House volunteers opened at 10 am to greet patrons needing showers, laundry facilities, computer time or respite.
· An office volunteer stepped in to answer phones and assist with staff needs.
I could go on and on for each day of the week.
It’s summer and the pace is somewhat relaxed, and the mission and ministry of Grace Episcopal Church continue to thrive even though you may not be here. But as a disciple what can you do in your absence from this physical space? How can you live out our prayer: “And now, Father, send us out to do the work you have given us to do, to love and serve you as faithful witnesses of Christ our Lord…” (Book of Common Prayer)
I offer some possibilities.
Welcome: In the Rector’s absence, we’ve been challenged to have fun – gather with others in fellowship in a house, at a park, on a boat or a bike. Who in the church have you been meaning to get to know? No agenda. Just fun.
Worship: It’s always a challenge with company in the house to get to church. But bring them along to worship. Come as you are. Try a Saturday night service which will allow you to capture most of a day of play. Or skip the week end service. Wednesday Eucharist is conversational and right on the altar and Holy Communion is administered from person to person.
Study: Sit down at 9:00 am on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and listen in on the Bible group as they reflect on their reading for the week. Join in one of two study groups just begun. The books are powerful and short.
Serve: Pull a weed. Sweep the entry. Clean the tunnel. Water the entry pots. Organize the church school classroom. Empty the dishwasher. Step into the pantry or Jubilee House to volunteer.
Stewardship: Keep up with your pledge and giving to Grace Church. All summer the lights are on, the water is still irrigating the lawn and the staff is here supporting the work of this place called Grace. Try the DONATE button on our website or mail in your contribution if you won’t be at a service. Establish a six month pledge now for the rest of the year.
What is God nudging you, you and your partner, you and your family to do in this grace-filled place?