Grace Episcopal Church was founded in 1867, and the building was erected in 1876. Traverse City was a thriving and growing area built on timber trade, using the marvelous resources of Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan,
and numerous inland lakes.
The founding Episcopalians envisioned a religious center to meet the spiritual and human needs of a growing community. The parish was admitted to the Diocese of Western Michigan in 1877.
In 1897, the building was moved by horse around the corner to its present location, remaining in the heart of the downtown area. In 1965, a free-standing parish hall was erected,including a full kitchen area and Sunday School/nursery facilities. This structure was joined to the original building in the 70’s, providing a commons/gathering space as well as a library and the church offices.
In 2003, we embarked on a capital campaign to enlarge our worship space. Following a spirit-led fund raising effort, we dedicated our new space in 2005, having doubled the worship area. We maintained the integrity of our historic building, using much of the original altar area and our beautiful stained glass windows.